Sunday, October 31, 2010

Spark

I had three lonely packets of Carnation Instant Breakfast in the cabinet. This morning I walked into the kitchen and looked at the big 2lb jar of Whey Protein Powder sitting on my counter. Then I looked in the cabinet at the Instant Breakfast. I looked back at the Whey Protein Powder and thought to myself (being frugal and all) that I have got to use up the Instant Breakfasts. So I did. I made myself an 8oz glass with skim milk. I sat down in front of my laptop and pulled up my Spark account. If you're unfamiliar with this website, it will allow you to input your foods and activities each day and it will keep track of everything, from calories to protein, carbs, fat, cardio minutes and even calories burned. It's a great website, and it's free.

Anyway, I input my Carnation Instant Breakfast and compared it to the Whey Protein Powder. Needless to say, I will not be doing that again.

Carnation Instant Breakfast with 8oz Skim Milk:
  • Calories: 216
  • Carbohydrates: 39
  • Fat: 1
  • Protein: 13
Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder Vanilla with 8oz Skim Milk:
  • Calories: 226
  • Carbohydrates: 15
  • Fat: 2
  • Protein: 34
Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder Vanilla with 8oz Water:
  • Calories: 140
  • Carbohydrates: 3
  • Fat: 2
  • Protein: 26
Clearly, the best option when trying to limit carbs and increase protein is the Whey Protein Powder. The even better option is to do it with water instead of milk. Either way, I'm limited to 1000 calories a day.

The day I started my liquid protein diet, my husband said to me playfully, "Go to Taco Bell and get one of those XL Chalupas" after he saw the commercial on TV. I'm not sure if he quite understood what was happening, so I told him, "I have to drink these shakes and you want me to go get you a chalupa?" He said, "Well, I don't have to drink the shakes!" Then, last night he asked me to make him a milkshake. I looked at him and he said, "What?" He said he didn't realize that I had to avoid that stuff. I guess I didn't explain it to him well enough. It kind of makes it tough though, and I hope he'll be supportive in this like he usually is.

No comments:

Post a Comment