I got my CPAP a couple days ago and I'm having some major issues.
To backtrack, I do not have obstructive sleep apnea, I only had 3 OSA's during my sleep study and they diagnosed me with hypopnea, I had 188 of those. They set my pressure at 24/20. Someone mentioned that I probably have a BiPap, but I really don't know. The lady who set it up said it was a CPAP (and that's what the paperwork says) but the user manual says Respironics BiPAP Auto Bi-Flex. It has a ramp, and I was able to turn it down from a start of 11 to 4 and that helped enormously to get used to it. The mask they gave me is a ResMed Mirage Quattro Full Face Mask.
The problems are:
1. I'm a belly sleeper, and well, there's really no way around that. To use this thing, I have to give it up. I really can't afford one of those special pillows right now, my husband has been off work since January when he fell off a roof at work.
2. It's extremely uncomfortable. I hate having it on my face, I even have an issue with my glasses, I just can't stand things touching my face.
3. It's way too tight, but if I losen it there's leaks. It leaves red marks all over my face and the tension on the back of my head is painful.
4. I feel like I'm having a very difficult time fully exhaling, it feels like my lungs just can't hold any more and I can't force what's in there out.
5. I only wore it for an hour, but my throat is so dry it hurts! I have tried the humidifier at 3, 4 and 5 and nothing makes a difference.
6. Once the pressure reaches 18, the mask starts lifting up.
7. Once the pressure is 18-20, leaks start.
8. Anything over 20 is full on leaks which I just can't control, the mask is already too tight and the pressure lifts the mask up and causes leaks. No adjusting stops it. So I hit the ramp button and start all over, then give up.
9. Oh, another major thing I've noticed is that over 20, I actually stop breathing and that really freaks me out. I'm scared to leave it on all night.
I am supposed to take the machine to the cpap clinic next week, so I just need to get through this until then. I have a perpetual case of allergies and wonder if this is affecting treatment. I also think I may have a sinus infection (green mucus, bloody nose, I know, eww - sorry.)
Is it normal for the mask to start lifting off the face? I don't know how I can adjust it anymore, it's just too tight already. When I go to the cpap clinic, I'll ask about different masks. I'd really prefer a nasal one, the pillows that I've heard about.