Sunday, January 16, 2011

Last Minute Shopping Trip

Here I am, less than 24 hours from surgery.  I'm so excited, nervous and impatient.  I wish I could fast forward to a week from today so it would all be over with and I would be at home recovering nicely.  But I can't, so I decided to make a last shopping trip to pick up a few extra things.  I had been feeling like I was forgetting something.  So, I scoured the boards last night at http://www.obesityhelp.com and http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com and found just what I was looking for. 

At my trip, I picked up some Gas-X strips as I've heard they are effective with gas after surgery.  I picked up papaya enzymes because they help break down food and prevent foamies.  Peppermint tea was something I knew I wanted but somehow forgot.  It will help soothe the stomach after surgery.  Dehydration was also a concern of mine, so I picked up a bottle of generic pedialyte.  My husband went to the store yesterday and I asked him to pick me up some sugar free jello, but he forgot the sugar free part and came home with six boxes of regular jello.  Never fear, my kids will eat it all up, so I also picked up some sugar free while I was out.  Another skein of yarn was also a necessity.  I figured I'd get a little knitting done while I'm laid up in the hospital. 

Finally, I went ahead and picked up some baby food for the pureed stage.  I was going to make my own purees and freeze them ahead of time (this is what I did for baby food when my kids were starting to eat) but I never got around to doing it.  I bought these in case I didn't feel up to it.  One box of Gerber Rice cereal, one box of Beechnut Oatmeal, some beef in broth, chicken in broth, ham, turkey in broth, green beans, peas, carrots and squash.  Oh and some no sugar added applesauce... that's if I can keep the kids out of it for the next two weeks (which is a challenge.)  Don't mind the soda in the cart, that's for my husband. 

I haven't had anything to eat since Friday night.  Surprisingly, it not really bothering me that much.  It could be because I'm staying well hydrated with decaf tea, sugar free drink mixes, broth and sugar free jello.  I think I'm prepared for the next three weeks.  If you look at the picture on the right, you'll see that I've pretty much taken over the large cabinet in our kitchen with all of my pre-op and post-op goodies.  I did leave a little room for the spice racks!  In this cabinet, I have:

  • Body Fortress Super Advance Whey Protein:
    • Chocolate
    • Vanilla
    • Cookies & Cream
    • Strawberry
  • Unjury Protein Powder
    • Unflavored
    • Chicken Soup Flavored
  • Decaffeinated Tea Bags
  • Instant Decaf Tea
  • Sugar Free Syrups
    • Irish Cream
    • Caramel
    • Chocolate
    • Pumpkin Pie
    • Raspberry
    • Hazelnut
  • International Delights Instant Coffee
    • French Vanilla Cafe
    • Mocha Cafe
  •  Sugar Free Hawaiian Punch
    • Juicy Fruity Red
    • Blue Typhoon
    • Polar Blast
  • Great Value Sugar Free Drink Mix
    • Cherry Limeade (my favorite)
    • Apple
    • Orange Early Rise
  • Celestial Seasonings Apple Spice Tea
  • Peppermint Carrington Tea
  • Splenda Packets
  • Sugar Free Spiced Cider
  • Sugar Free Jello
    • Orange, Lime, Cherry & Strawberry
  • Powerade Zero
    • Mixed Berry & Strawberry
  • Instant Chicken & Beef Broths
  • Baby Food
    • Meats: Chicken, Beef, Ham & Turkey
    • Veggies: Green Beans, Peas, Carrots & Squash
    • Cereals: Rice & Oatmeal
  • Parent's Choice Pediatric Electrolyte Solution 
  • Whey Protein Shot
  • Gas-X Strips
  • Papaya Enzymes
  • Liquid Tylenol
  • Tums
  • Prescriptions
    • Liquid Roxicet
    • Axid
  • Fiber Choice Chewables
  • Benefiber Unflavored Powder
  • Measuring Cups
  • Things not in the cabinet:
    • Sugar Free Popsicles
    • Glad Plastic 4oz Mini Bowls (to make jello in, they have lids!)
    • No Sugar Added Applesauce

I should note that I did not buy all this at once!  I bought it little by little, I picked up something every time I went to the store.  That way I wasn't overwhelmed and spending a fortune on one shopping trip.  I'm going to do a little laundry when I'm done with this post, then I'm going to start packing.  I am going to pack light because I know I won't be able to use much.  So here's what I'm packing:

  • Incentive Spirometer
  • Gastric Sleeve Folder (given to me by the weight loss center)
  • Slippers
  • Socks & Undergarments
  • One pair of lounge pants and t-shirt
  • PJ pants
  • Robe
  • Yarn & Knitting Supplies
  • Laptop
  • Textbooks (classes start Tuesday!)
  • Toiletries
    • Shampoo
    • Body Wash
    • Toothpaste & Toothbrush
    • Lotion
    • Chapstick
    • Deoderant
    • Contacts, case & solution
    • Listerine Strips
  • Small pillow
  • Splenda packets (I hate sweet & low)
When I went for my endoscopy, they gave me a bag kind of like a reusable shopping back, but twice as big.  I'm hoping to fit everything I need in it.  

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you're WELL prepared :)

    Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, good for you! Good luck with your surgery - I can't wait for your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be here before you know it. I am also a knitter are you on ravelry? I am waiting for my shred dvd to arrive but wish i could be more strict with myself, how do you stick to it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa, I'm thinking of you, hope your surgery went well! Can't wait to see you blogging again!

    ReplyDelete